If you live in an area that is prone to tropical cyclones, hurricanes, and other major storms, you know how important it is to be prepared.
One of the most important things you can do to stay safe in the event of a hurricane is to come up with an evacuation plan. You also need to put together a hurricane supplies kit.
A hurricane supplies kit should consist of the following:
- Drinking water – at least one gallon per person, per day
- Water purification tablets
- Non-perishable food
- Battery-operated radio
- First aid kit containing bandages, antibacterial sanitizer, compresses, pain relievers, and antacids
- Plastic tarps
- Plastic trash bags
- Paper towels, toilet paper, and wet wipes
- Cleaning supplies
- Bug spray
For those who are of advanced age or disabled, the following should be added to your hurricane supplies kit:
- Special dietary foods
- Medical equipment
- Adult diapers
- Hearing aid batteries
- Wheelchair batteries
- Extra pair of glasses
- Oxygen for portable machines
It is also important to have a 30-day supply of medication on hand, whether it is prescription or over-the-counter.
To view more examples of our work, visit the Sample Content section of our website. And to learn more about preparing senior citizens for a hurricane read our sample article.