Your first social media focus should be on creating quality content to draw in followers and clients. If you’ve taken this step and created your social circle, great! Now it’s time to continue to expand your business’s social life with fresh content. But you don’t have to ignore the content you’ve already written. Optimize it, too.
Today’s social media lesson is: Last year: pump out content. This year: optimize content.*
Focus on Optimization
As you create new content, don’t focus as much on creating as much of it as you can at the expense of quality – both for your human readers and search engine crawlers. Turn your attention to creating content that is informative, engaging, and properly optimized to get results.
Search engines are tweaking their algorithms constantly – some average multiple changes a day. And, of course, every now and then some major changes will sweep through. Your SEO strategy should keep up with the latest changes, and don’t forget to take a look at your existing content, too.
Tips for Optimizing Old Content
At We Do Web Content we’re in the midst of a big redesign project for our website, so we’ll give yousome of the current strategies we’re using to freshen up our social media content:
- Check your rankings first – If you have pages that are already performing well for relevant search terms, don’t touch those keywords too much; let them keep doing what they’re doing.
- Be diverse with your keywords – Synonyms are your best friend in today’s social media search market. If you focused on one or two specific keywords, optimize that content with synonyms of those words.
- Make sure you’re hitting the right density – Keyword density has changed, so double check your density across all your pages. We strive for a one keyword/phrase per 100 words density in our content and that’s easy to determine just by placing your copy in Microsoft Word and running a Find/Replace search to count the uses in the document.
- Double check everything – Make sure you have descriptive page titles, unique headings, and catchy meta tags on all your content. Remember that these are the parameters that are often overlooked, but are a gold mine for search engines to learn about your website’s relevancy!
We Do Web Content Can Optimize Your Old Content
Stale content is wasted web space – make sure you’re getting the most out of your social media by turning your focus to optimizing your new and existing content rather than pumping out as much of it as is humanly possible. Let We Do Web Content take a look at your website. Our SEO team will help develop a social media and web content strategy to keep your website on your clients’ radar all through the New Year!
Learn more by filling out our web contact form or just give us a call at 888-594-5442 to talk about how our SEO and web content services can help your website and your business.
* Blog adapted from Fast Company’s ’36 Rules of Social Media’ infographic.